Starting from the research on the physical alterations that the pavilion has undergone as a result of its continual changing of hands since 1930, the treatise attempts to project a future life of the privately owned pavilion through a scenario in which the pavilion is disassembled and sold through a crowd-sourced financial model.
This alternative life of the US pavilion would reconstitute the pavilion wherever two or more pieces are collected together, leading to an entirely unforeseeable collection of architectural assemblages testifying to the altered economic state of the United States’ national representation in Venice.
Text and Images for Volume #41: How to Build a Nation, Page 62—67
images: Future crowd-sourced U.S. pavilions
- 4. The United States is all that is the United States of America.
- 4.1 The United States is the Grand Central Art Gallery.
- 4.1.1 The Grand Central Art Gallery is 9 people.
- 4.1.2 The Grand Central Art Gallery is 1590 m3.
- 220.127.116.11 The Grand Central Art Gallery is 290 m2 indoors and 141 m2 outdoors.
- 18.104.22.168 The Grand Central Art Gallery is symmetrical.
- 22.214.171.124 The United States of America is constituted by a left wing, a right wing, and a center.
- 126.96.36.199.1 The left wing displays the left wing.
- 188.8.131.52.2 The right wing displays the right wing.
- 184.108.40.206.3 The center displays the moderates.
- 4.1.3 1930_pavilion floor plan_delano & aldrich.jpg
- 4.1.4 grand central art gallery_pavilion tympanum_1930.psd
- 4.1.5 grand central art gallery_ display strategy_1938 venice exposition.psd
- 3. R. Marina pauses all that is the United States of America.
- 3.1 R. Marina is the Italian Navy Regia Marina.
- 3.2 R. Marina is 5 flags and 6 soldiers.
- 3.2.1 padiglioni stati uniti_1942_padiglione r-marina veduta esterna.jpg
- 3.2.2 r-marina_pavilion tympanum_1942.psd
- 3.2.3 r-marina_display strategy_1942 venice exposition.psd
- 2. The United States of America is all that is the United States of America.
- 2.1 The United States of America is the Museum of Modern Art.
- 2.1.1 The Museum of Modern Art is a toilet and a sewage installation.
- 2.1.2 The Museum of Modern Art is a window.
- 2.1.3 The Museum of Modern Art is 2 doors.
- 2.1.4 museum of modern art_pavilion tympanum_1948.psd
- 2.1.5 museum of modern art_display strategy_1948 venice exposition.psd
- 2.1.6 The Museum of Modern Art is an asymmetrical corridor.
- 2.1.7 The Museum of Modern Art has leaks in the roof.
- 2.2 The United States of America loses a tree for the sake of asymmetry.
-1. The United States of America is all that is the United States of America.
-1.1 The United States of America is the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation.
-1.1.1 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is air-conditioned and humidity-controlled.
-1.1.2 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is under video-surveillance.
-1.1.3 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation insulates the roof.
-1.1.4 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is covered in public gravel.
-220.127.116.11 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is 3.75 m2 smaller.
-1.1.5 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is paved in marble terrazzo.
-1.1.6 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation is four suspended light-diffusing screens.
-1.1.7 solomon r. guggenheim foundation_display_strategy_2014 venice exposition.psd
0. The United States of America is all that is the United States of America.
0.1 The United States of America is an Office.
0.1.1 solomon r. guggenheim foundation_officeus_2014 venice.jpg
0.1.2 The Office loses its main entrance. It becomes an emergency exit.
0.1.3 The Office moves at a speed of 23.4 Mbps.
0.1.4 The Office speaks 6 different languages.
0.1.5 The Office writes in HTML.
0.1.6 The Office prints in 3D.
0.1.7 The Office cooks without fire.
0.1.8 The Office organises parties.
0.1.9 The Office makes music.
0.1.10 The Office contributes to architectural magazines.
0.1.11 The Office competes in architectural competitions.
0.1.12 The Office conducts workshops.
0.1.13 The Office organizes symposiums.
0.2 The United States of America is high-speed wireless fidelity (wi-fi) Internet.
0.2.1 The United States of America has an average of 350 visitors and 7,500 clicks per day.
0.3 The United States of America is Sponsors, Supporters, Benefactors, Leaders, Contributors, Patrons, Circle, Friends.
0.3.1 Sponsors contribute $100,000 or equivalent.
0.3.2 Supporters contribute $50,000 or equivalent.
0.3.3 Benefactors contribute $25,000 or equivalent.
0.3.4 Leaders contribute $20,000 or equivalent.
0.3.5 Contributors contribute $15,000 or equivalent.
0.3.6 Patrons contribute $10,000 or equivalent.
0.3.7 Circle contributes $5,000 or equivalent.
0.3.8 Friends contribute $1-1,000 or equivalent.
1. The United States of America subdivides into elements.
1.1 115600 elements are the material case and remain the same.
1.1.1 115598 are above ground.
1.1.2 2 are underground.
1.1.3 The elements are classified according to their volume.
18.104.22.168 12 sockets, 114300 bricks, 1 faucet, 5 security cameras, 4 web cameras, 65 spotlights, 5 exit signs, electrical cables, 1 rotunda skylight, 1 rotunda skylight screen, 4 lighting tracks, 2 stair rails, 4 steps, 4 lintels, 4 lintels, 1 sink, 6 windows, 8 skylight windows, 2 glass doors, 5 woo den doors, 314 moulding elements, 157 triglyphs, 4 ornamental panels, 600 drywall panels, 1 toilet, 12 rotunda segments, 2 stair cases, 1 ladder, 12 skylight segments, 12 clomun segments, 2 niches, 19 terrazzo tiles, 2 ramps, 1 concrete door case, 4 air conditioners, 14 air conditioner ducts, 1 glass wall, 1 pediment, 1 concrete wall, 4 drop ceilings, 1 foundation
2. The elements are auctioned and redistributed amongst a global population.
2.1 The elements are valuated by Bitcoin.
2.1.1 The Bitcoin exchange rate is 1 BTC equals 498.4 USD and 381.2 EUR as of August 14th 2014.
2.2 The elements are sold to new owners.
2.2.1 One owner cannot own more than 3 pieces.
2.3 The elements are shipped to their new owners.
2.4 The elements are preserved by their owners.
2.4.1 The elements are stored in a controlled place.
2.4.2 The elements are offered as presents.
2.4.3 The elements are lent to represent a st4t3.
22.214.171.124 The st4t3 is reassambled by any number of elements.
3. The st4t3 is composite.
3.1 The st4t3 is reassembled in any place.
3.1.1 The st4t3 is reassembled in many places.
3.2 The st4t3 is built from December to June every year.
3.2.1 The st4t3 takes place from June to November every year.
3.2.2 The st4t3 is dismantled during the last week of November every year.
3.3. The elements are shipped back to their owners on 1st December every year.
3.3.1 The st4t3 is reassembled to show a work by Joan Jonas in 2015.
126.96.36.199 The st4t3 consists of two stairs, one tympanum, 22464 bricks and 61 spotlights.
188.8.131.52.1 The st4t3 is in the shape of a U.
184.108.40.206.3 The st4t3 is located in Venice.
220.127.116.11.2 test st4t3_00001.psd
18.104.22.168 The st4t3 consists of 2 air conditioners, 3.5 columns, and 3586 bricks.
22.214.171.124.1 The st4t3 is cooling.
126.96.36.199.2 The st4t3 is located in Barracuda.
188.8.131.52.3 test st4t3_00002.psd
184.108.40.206 The st4t3 consists of 12 marble steps, 2 concrete stairs, 1 arc, and 3672 bricks.
220.127.116.11.1 The st4t3 is a grand stand.
18.104.22.168.2 The st4t3 is located in Epidaurus.
22.214.171.124.3 test st4t3_00003.psd
126.96.36.199 The st4t3 consists of 1 skylight, 1 concrete lintel, 1 niche, and 2736 bricks.
188.8.131.52.1 The st4t3 is a corridor.
184.108.40.206.2 The st4t3 is located in Toroweap.
220.127.116.11.3 test st4t3_00004.psd
18.104.22.168 The st4t3 consists of two columns, one ladder, and 432 bricks.
22.214.171.124.1 The st4t3 is climbed by one person.
126.96.36.199.2 The st4t3 is located in Marfa.
188.8.131.52.3 test st4t3_00005.psd